Use the online card catalog. We index links to websites and eBooks there, and that is the only way to access them.
Here are some keywords you might find helpful. This list is, by no means, complete. If you think of any additional keywords, please post them to the comments section.
- The Effects of Capitalism - Keywords: econom*, financ*, profit, loss, industr*, business, corporat*, labor, trade, union,"wall street", "stock market", "capital gains"
- Making a Living: Farm v. Factory/Local v. Global - Keywords: agricultur*, farm*, subsistence, organic*, "locally grown", domestic*, import*, export*, factory, labor, industrial*, "assembly line", "global economy", Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), "trade union", sharecrop*
- The Impact of Industrialization on the life of the Poor - Keywords: Poverty, poor, famine, starvation, "food shortages" "food shortage", unemployment, malnutrition, UNESCO, rice, crops, "subsitance farming", "subsitance farmers", microbankingÂ
- The changing status of women - Keywords: women, "women's rights", suffrage, equality, "equal rights", "equal pay", gender, widow*, marriage, famil*, inheritanc*, "property rights", matriarc*, patriarc* NOTE: Students looking for the "con" of women's rights often struggle. Look up Phyllis Schlafly in the online catalog. She created the Eagle Forum Also look for articles about overworked moms, the "glass ceiling" and "stay-at-home"
- Child Labor - Keywords: "child labor", UNICEF, exploit*, children, slave*, prostitut*, poverty, sweatshop, minor*, "developing countries"
- Industrialization/Technology and the Environment - Keywords: pollution, ecolog*, environment*, industr*, green, technolog*, factor*, biohazard, waste, toxi*, "alternative fuel", energy, infrastructure, digital, computer, "information age"
Use these databases to find primary source documents:
- Sharpe Online Reference (Primary Source Archive --> Industrial Revolution) SIRS Decades
- Historical Newspapers & Historical Hartford Couranty
- History in Context (use primary sources filter)
- ABC-CLIO (use filter to narrow results to documents)
- ABC-CLIO (then)
- History Resource Center (then)
- Student Research Center (then)
- ProQuest Newspapers
- NewsStand (now)
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context (pro/con)
- Global Issues in Context (pro/con)
- Sharpe Online Reference
Your planner has a sectionthatÂ will help you better understand how to do an annotated bibliography (8 pages from the back). If you have additional questions, please post them to the Research & Bibliographies discussion in the Industrial Revolution forum below.
India and China (sorry - the links are dead. You just need to pull up the articles themselves. Since all the Newsweek articles are in one magazine, just search for Newsweek on that date, and you will get them all):
Sharma, Ruchir. "Taking It Easy; Indian Leaders are Enjoying the Boom Times by Putting off More Painful Reforms. The Mistake Could Cost Them." Newsweek.
Naughton , Keith. â€œOutsourcing: Silicon Valley East; Americans Once feared Their Jobs Would be Shipped to India, but the Backlash was Overdone. Now Everybody's Winning.â€ Newsweek. 6 Mar. 2006: 42. ProQuest Platinum. ProQuest Inofrmation & Learning. New Canaan High School Library, New Canaan, CT. 1 Dec. 2008 <http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb>.
Zakaria, Fareed â€œIndia Rising; Messy, Raucous, Democratic India is Growing Fast, And Now May Partner Up With The World's Richest Democracy - America.â€ Newsweek. 6 Mar. 2006: 32. ProQuest Platinum. ProQuest Information & Learning. New Canaan High School Library, New Canaan, CT. 1 Dec. 2008 <http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb>.
Das, Gurcharan. "Education: A Learning Curve; What's Behind India's Success in the Global Knowledge Economy? One key is a Boom in Private Schools for All.â€ Newsweek. 6 Mar. 2006: 32. ProQuest Platinum. ProQuest Information & Learning. New Canaan High School Library, New Canaan, CT. 1 Dec. 2008 <http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb>.
Setoodeh, Ramin. "At Home: American Masala; For Young Indian Americans, Success is Required. They're Moving Beyond Med School to Make their Mark Everywhere.â€ Newsweek. 6 Mar. 2006: 39. ProQuest Platinum. ProQuest Information & Learning. New Canaan High School Library, New Canaan, CT. 1 Dec. 2008 <http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb>.
"Thomas Friedman Reporting: The Other Side of Outsourcing." United Streaming. 2005. Discovery Education. New Canaan High School Library, New Canaan, CT. 1 Dec. 2008 <http://streaming.discoveryeducation.com/>.
Larmer, Brooks. "The Manchurian Mandate." National Geographic. Sep. 2006: 42 (32). ProQuest Platinum. ProQuest Information & Learning. New Canaan High School Library, New Canaan, CT. 1 Dec. 2008 <http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb>.